Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Jack Henry's poem "and all for naught"


the ringing in my ears
never fades
day or night,
a constant screaming,
high pitched death wail,
it brings the madness,
it is the key that unlocks
my mind –

i sit in traffic,
daily,
ears ringing,
madness cresting through my skin,
an itch incurable,
a woman on a phone
talks loudly,
i hear her,
every word,
she is not hands free,
just talking & talking & talking -

& next to me
a man in a flash car
shiny bright
expensive
texts his mother,
or his brother,
or his mistress
as he
continues
to
slow
the
fuck
down…


& my hands grip
tight
the ringing & ringing
people slowing
& passing &
stopping
&
i
can’t
take it
anymore –

I pull off
the freeway,
return to
my hiding,
bury myself
deep beneath
the covers of
my bed,
& breath
real
slow
as the
ringing rises
higher
& i being
to
twitch again -

© 2019 Jack Henry


Jack Henry is a poet living south and east from Los Angeles. After a self imposed hibernation Jack reemerged and started writing again. Recent publications include Red Fez, Winamop, and dope fiend daily. In August 2019, Heroin Love Songs, a poetry journal Jack publishes, will see the light of day once more.

photo © 2019 marie c lecrivain

No comments:

Post a Comment