Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Tuesday, August 2, 2022: Allison Grayhurst's poem "Poet"

 Poet

 


My breath and blood,


my spiritual soldier,


death expresses itself


then ends to find another muse.


Hold me in your form,


unoffended, know I am


capable of true choice,


planting colours before unseen.



My last call, I am withdrawing,


weakening, biting a bitter morsel.


Darkness is a hymn, infiltrating


my subconscious.


I will take the globe and smash the sphere


my boundless exemplary love, lover


of the embracing midnight, star light and roses.


I have no customs I am determined to keep.


I will give up all my rituals, my summer garden


to walk again, with you, on fire.


© 2022 Allison Grayhurst








Allison Grayhurst is a member of the League of Canadian Poets. Five times nominated for “Best of the Net,” she has over 1,300 poems published in over 500 international journals. She has 25 published books of poetry and six chapbooks. She lives in Toronto with her family. She also sculpts, working with clay. Collaborating with Allison Grayhurst on the lyrics, Vancouver-based singer/songwriter/musician Diane Barbarash has transformed eight of Allison Grayhurst’s poems into songs, creating a full album entitled River – Songs from the poetry of Allison Grayhurst, released in 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment