Saturday, March 4, 2017

National Women's Month: Jeanne Marie Spicuzza's poem "Confrontation"



After Mass and leaving the screenings at DitMak

I headed for Amoeba Records.

I walked on Hollywood Boulevard
wearing a stone-colored trench coat.

A frazzled-looking woman
squatted in front of a tarot shop.

She stopped me, tasting diamonds,
and cried out, “You need a reading.”

I turned to her, our eyes meeting
for a moment of mutual communion.

She smiled, ravenous, like a cat.
She didn’t perceive I read cards, too.

You’re an old soul,” she recited.
Many times before, I was sure.

It’s so seducing to evoke
the utterly ego-stroking notion of,

I am wise. I am spiritual.
I am above human suffering.”

Affronted, deliberate,
I leaned forward towards her,

a force growing like a fist.
You’re a dark witch,”

I blasted at her. And proceeded along
the street, meeting two lovely

young police officers. “You have
a heck of a job,” I told them.

Be careful down here,”
one said. How did he know?

Hollywood can be heaven,
a seat of history and dreams.

Or hell, laden with false prophets
by trade, on a Sunday.

© 2017 Jeanne Marie Spicuzza










Bio: Jeanne Marie Spicuzza is a writer, actress, filmmaker, painter and herbalist, and the founder and CEO of Seasons & a Muse, Inc. Nominee and winner of various awards, including the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Nicholl Fellowships in Screenwriting, the Golden Headset Award, the National Organization for Women “Woman of the Year,” and the Shepherd Express Best Performance Artist of the Year, Jeanne Marie has toured worldwide and is published in A Gathering of Tribes, Blue Fifth Review, The Nervous Breakdown, poeticdiversity and others. Her award-winning feature thriller, "The Scarapist," screened at festivals, markets and theatres internationally and is currently out On Demand. She is in post-production of her next feature film ‘Night Rain.” A mother and grandmother, Jeanne Marie lives with her husband, Violent Femmes and BoDeans drummer and composer Guy Hoffman, in Los Angeles. The family travels whenever they can.


No comments:

Post a Comment