Tuesday, December 6, 2022

Tuesday, December 6, 2022: Belinda Subraman's "4:00 a,m., again," and "Future History"

4:00 a.m. again


and no sleep

I tried forest sounds

including a stream and an owl.

I tried happy tv

traveling, remodeling 

other animals in their habitat.


I tried counting breaths

and soft music.


I tried acupressure

and the mantra

“be here now”


I tried silence

and the static was deafening


Pills aren’t working.


My recurring depression

blossoms in a toxic reality.

I tuned into WW3

thinking avoiding it was not working

and that didn’t work either.


Over 3 million refugees 

from Ukraine have run for their lives.

My heart races for them

as my body slowly disintegrates

and the world as we know it explodes and burns.

Annihilation a possibility.


Night is too dark

for sleep.



Future History

 

throwing out my history page by page

its power dimmed by decades

cleaning out my storage

giving, letting go, parting by a third

 

awakened to my former hyper life

aware of my hyper now

activities of daily living spiced

with painting

promoting poets, juggling ten sites

writing while the paint dries 

playing a drum now and then

interviewing writers or

recording events around me

chronicling, seeding

sharing what I might have forgotten by now

in my diminishing

 

I only save what quickens my heart or hugs me

as I slowly loosen grip on this plane

readying for leaving

 

my removable, renewable self 

calmed my fear of ending

even before the diagnosis

 

I ingest the chapters

the history of my life so far

sieving through me

heading to the big blend

the symbolic, hyperbolic

universal aum

 

© 2022 Belinda Subraman



 




Belinda Subraman has been published in 100s of magazines, printed and online, academic and small presses. In 2020 Belinda began an online show called GAS: Poetry, Art & Music which features interviews, readings, performances and art show in a video format available free at http://youtube.com/BelindaSubraman. Belinda is also an artist and recently took 2nd Place in the Sun Bowl Exhibit, the longest running art show in the Southwest, since 1949.

No comments:

Post a Comment