Arrows Waiting
While I waited for the Ferris wheel recently,
I trailed the long line behind a couple that
were completely silent in one another’s
Company.
They spoke to (and only looked at)
their two children. Remained muted as
human land-mass on lookout for a subject
to float the waters between them like
lost sailboats between rocky cliffs.
Whenever I see a union in this condition,
I wonder if tomb-like quiet, with eyes in
different directions, is the avenue some couples
move to after too many rounds of emotional
hand grenades have been tossed?
I first noticed this type of couple
as a small child. I would quietly ponder.
Are each of them silent forts with
words tucked like arrows waiting?
Is this the white-flag-way, dogs give in to
the leash kind of living, that is, “as-happy-
as-its-going to-get” final surrender?
Or did I simply observe them in a “separate-
contemplation-while-together” moment
I hope so.
© Beverly M. Collins
Bio: Beverly M. Collins, author of the books, Quiet Observations and Mud in Magic. Her poems and short stories appear in publications based in USA, England, Ireland, Australia, India, Berlin, Mauritius, Lebanon, and Canada.
A 2019 Winner of the Naji Naaman Literary Prize in Creativity (Lebanon), four times nominated for the Pushcart Prize, once Best on the Net, prize winner for California State Poetry Society; 2 nd placed winner; June 2021 Wilda Morris Poetry Challenge (Chicago) and guest editor of California Quarterly.
Her photography can be found on: The cover of Peeking Cat 40 (England), California Quarterly,
and more.
www.https://beverlym-collins.pixels.com
No comments:
Post a Comment