Friday, July 22, 2022

Friday, July 22, 2022: Rose Mary Boehm's poem "Leaving Home"

 Leaving Home


The next morning we’d have to take the ferry

from Dover. The next morning I’d have to say

goodbye to my kids. The next morning

could wait.


In the old Cornwall pub,

Newcastle Steam Beer flowed freely, and Paula

fell in love with Paul. Not that anything happened,

mind you. It was just a spark that made

the hairs on my arms stand up.

Paul had a girlfriend,

Paula a husband.


The next morning was far away. But, eventually,

they called ‘Time’. And we all moseyed off. 

Paula and I to my car. We had to get to London that 

night. The next morning… oh, well, you’ve heard

that one by now. Heavy, drunk and my heart in knots

I made it from Cornwall to London in just over

three hours on angel wings, consciously not exceeding

the speed limit for fear they may stop me

and smell the Newcastle Steam Beer.


We got to my house.

We fell into our beds.

We slept. 


We had all the stuff ready to go, and the morning

happened, that's what mornings do. We loaded

the car, I didn't see much.

I don’t remember whether the kids

let me kiss them. I hope they did.

I think I waved goodbye.


© 2022 Rose Mary Boehm






Rose Mary Boehm is a German-born British national living and writing in Lima, Peru. Her poetry has been published widely in mostly US poetry reviews (online and print). She was twice nominated for a Pushcart. Her fifth poetry collection, Do Oceans Have Underwater Borders, will be published by Kelsay Books at any moment now. https://www.rose-mary-boehm-poet.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment