Friday, August 5, 2022

Friday, August 5, 2022: Marjorie R Becker's poems "In Bryon Where the Fruit Came From", and "Word of Dawn's Provisions Came Around"

 

                                                         © 2022 marie c lecrivain

    

In Byron Where the Fruit Came From



He said they treat you like a store


front brimming ripe with Christmas and


 


I, so Jewish in my ways and play


could only laugh the ground, the sound


 


that I depended on because I lived


and farmed a tiny bit of Byron, Georgia earth


 


my people left me. I owned a hut,


I won the keys to Sammy’s car


 


because, he said, I want to give you


wheels to blast away each time


 


they say such keen mistaken things. And


I, I wondered why he wanted then, again


 


to share my harmonies, my backyard


range of food I gave away to people


 


who arrived in times of hungry need


for all the fruits and greens we picked


 


and made into a sort of somehow


ripening.



© 2022 Marjorie R. Becker




 


Word of Dawn’s Provisions Came Around


 


The fruit itself, the wayward plums believed


their gifts adrift through dawn’s experience until


my great aunt played her violin and summoned


unsung notes askew, the naked notes themselves


 


believed they still conceived, ensure the violin


of dawn among the plums, the cantaloupe, the wild


experience of color, calm adrift, proclaimed the fruit


itself, those onetime plums believed, ensured their


 


colors shared the open dawn, the porch itself


asunder when we women of the Downtown Purple


Pawn arrived with hammers’ ripe experience.


The light delivered, its dawn belonged to us as we


 


began the song of plums asunder, plundered, too, tu


we, we women held the hammers fast, reprieved, restored


the wilderness of naked notes, of true belief


in wild astray, the sudden pie, the kinds of open food,


 


of treat that dawn’s experience, that naked need for


touch, for taste asunder that the plums themselves had


hoped that dearly dawn, that evening too, to ponder.



© 2022 Marjorie R. Becker





“I hold a Yale doctorate in Latin American gendered and cultural history and am the author of the prize-winning historical monograph Setting the Virgin on Fire: Lázaro Cárdenas, Michoacán Peasants and the Redemption of the Mexican Revolution (UC Press, 1996), the forthcoming Dancing on the Sun Stone: Mexican Women and the Gendered Politics of Octavio Paz (University of New Mexico Press, 2022,) and the three poetry collections, Body Bach (2000,) Glass Piano/Piano Glass (2005,) and The Macon Sex School: Songs of Tenderness and Resistance (2020,) all from Tebot Bach. I have received an array of awards and am a professor of Latin American history and English at USC.”




No comments:

Post a Comment