Friday, May 27, 2022

Friday, May 27, 2022: L. B. Sedlacek's poems "Harvest" and "Illumination"

Harvest

She sells seaweed.  I read it

somewhere.  A blonde woman

collecting tons off the beach.

Seaweed is used in salads, soups

and sauces, shampoos and

soaps.  I read the label off

my shampoo bottle.  It is

plastic and pink and does not

have any seaweed.  Seaweed

picks up whatever’s in the

water so they have to test for

contaminants.  I tasted

seaweed once.  It was dried

and in chips.  I could only

take a small bite.  I couldn’t

swallow it.  I was squeamish.

I gave all of it away.  I tried

vegemite once, too.  The jar

sat in my cupboard until it

cracked.  Even then, I never

threw it away.

 

© 2022 LB Sedlacek

 

 

 

Illumination

        

1.

Cold cool cement

to keep the seawater blocked

while a family’s supper

sits on the table

lit by the footpath to the

stars and the

giant glass orb making

it safe for sea travelers.

 

2.

Cold cool cement

empty but full of space with

chains keeping schoolchildren

from exploring where they

shouldn’t; and the stars

plus the giant glass orb retired

no longer needed in the computer

age where compasses are mere

souvenirs and sailors few

in number.

© 2022 LB Sedlacek

 





BIO:  LB Sedlacek has had poems and stories published in a variety of journals

and zines.  Her poetry books include “Swim,” “Simultaneous Submissions,”

“Happy Little Clouds,” “The Architect of French Fries,” and “Words and Bones.” 

Her first short story collection, "Four Thieves of Vinegar & Other Short Stories"

was published by Alien Buddha Press in 2020.  In her free time, LB likes to

swim, read and play the ukulele.


http://www.lbsedlacek.com


No comments:

Post a Comment