Friday, April 21, 2023

Friday, April 21, 2023: Lynne Bronstein's poem "Tirzah"

 Tirzah


How am I to begin again?

I was dying. My face, my hands

Covered with sores. My skin

Decaying before my eyes.

I had lost my way, lost my love,

Lost everyone I knew except

For my mother, who, along with me

Lived a nonlife in the darkness

Of a windowless, cave-like cell.

Four years in the dark, looking forward

Only to the tray of bread and water

Pushed in through a hole every day.

Four years for me to dream

Of what might have been.

My life in a world of gold and silk,

Caring for the children I would have borne

And loving the man who became instead

My family’s scourge, our enemy and doom.

Then, the valley. The cursed place.

Again, a cold cave, although sometimes

I ventured into the sunlight

Wrapped in bandages and shawls,

Still struggling to live

By dreaming.

Was it a miracle

That a strange late afternoon thunderstorm


Washed me clean, dried up my sores,

Cured me of the plague?

I saw someone who was unluckier than myself.

When they hammered the nails into his hands

I felt the piercing myself and I cried out.

Years of suffering in silence

While my brother survived punishment

To become a hero.

His deep sorrow over our fate

Did not prevent him from having adventures.

I had only the life within my head.

Who am I? Unmarried and getting older,

Clean-skinned but plain,

A woman in a man’s time.

Do you think I can

be happy now?

To feel blessed, to reach toward faith

Is not my intention at all.

I am no longer afraid.

But that simply means

That now no one should be surprised

If I mount a horse

And ride off

At frantic speed

Arms raised in the air,

Shouting my glee

And taking in

All the pleasure


Denied me all those years.

No more caves.

No more wounds.

And more than just dreams.


© 2023 Lynne Bronstein







Lynne Bronstein is the author of Nasty Girls (Four Feathers Press) and four

other books of poetry. She has been published in magazines ranging from

Playgirl to Chiron Review, from Lummox to anthologies in England, Ireland,

Canada, and India. Her short fiction has appeared in magazines and

anthologies including the forthcoming Crime Under the Sun, and has been

read on National Public Radio.


She also writes a column on Facebook called Show Biz Cats.


No comments:

Post a Comment